Interested in learning how to embed a ‘whole school approach’ to mental health in schools?
In 2019 I will be delivering mental health training to teachers and schools in Bath and North East Somerset (B&NES), in my capacity as a trainer for Bath Mind. Bath Mind is working in partnership with B&NES Public Health in Schools to help teachers feel confident and competent to support the wellbeing of students, particularly those learners affected by anxiety.
We will start with an open training day for teachers, being run in Jan, March and June 2019. This will be led by the B&NES Public Health in Schools Lead, Clare Laker, and me. The training days will be accompanied by the opportunity for schools to call upon Bath Mind’s support for:
- further training in-house for teachers
- undertaking and actioning the B&NES Mental Health & Wellbeing in Schools Audit
Feel free to contact me via the Contact Page for more information, whether you are a teacher, parent or member of the public, in B&NES or beyond.
More information about the training for schools here: Mental-Health-in-Schools-Flyer
- Identifying the mental health & wellbeing needs of children and young people
- Creating a positive environment within which mental wellbeing can flourish
- The role of the whole school community including students/ parents and carers/ senior leadership and staff
- Staff wellbeing and development
- Early intervention and targeted support and sign posting
Session 2 will embed learning through an exploration of how schools can support anxious learners. This will focus on:-
- Understanding anxiety and how it can become problematic for children and young people
- Embedding learning about anxiety and personal coping strategies as an everyday part of PSHE and the broader school curriculum
- Strategies for supporting individual children who are struggling with anxiety as an early intervention measure
- Sign posting and sources of further support
- A whole school approach to mental health & wellbeing
- Information on current guidance and support available both locally and nationally
- An overview of problematic anxiety in children and young people
- Strategies for supporting anxious learners
- More confident in understanding the role a school can play in promoting the mental health and wellbeing of pupils
- Knowledgeable about the key sources of support and guidance within both B&NES and nationally
- More confident in understanding the role a school can play in supporting anxious learners